History of the
Cherokee Baptist Association
The Cherokee Baptist Association is a fellowship of Cherokee Baptist Congregations located throughout Northeast Oklahoma. It began in 1869 in the Southern Delaware County area. (present day Twin Oaks/Leach area). The eight churches were Ju-da-ye-tlu (the initial Baptist church among Cherokees), Antioch, Stee-goy-ee (now known as Swimmer), Prairie Gap, Rock Spring, Long Prairie, Round Springs, and Bellefonte. In the earlier years, the association met at various churches to hold meetings and events.
The CBA began work on the Assembly Grounds located in Briggs, Oklahoma in 1942. The Tabernacle is the oldest building and work began on October 26, 1942 & was completed in August 1944. It cost $2,933.63 to complete. The CBA Women's Missionary Union Department was organized in 1883, making it one of the oldest WMU organizations in the state of Oklahoma. The assembly grounds are used throughout the year for events such as the annual Sunday School Convention in September, Family Camp in June and regular association meetings.
Today, the CBA is comprised of 44 congregations working together for the purpose of furthering the gospel of Jesus Christ. Our leadership team consists of an executive board comprised of church pastors & designated messengers, three team leaders (Administrative, Pastoral Support and Missions & Evangelism) who oversee the work done at the association level, and departmental directors who are available to help churches in the areas of Sunday School, WMU, & Youth among other areas as requested. While the CBA has no authority over the churches that area a part of it, we serve as a resource to help churches in various projects & ministries, as well as to provide ways to fellowship with other congregations.